Translate

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Journey of Change

By: Mandy, MSW, LSW


I was given this poem in a class and I was struck by how well the poem illistrates the process and journey of change.

Autobiography In Five Short Chapters 
by Portia Nelson

I
I walk down the street. 
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk 
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
  It isn't my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.

II
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again. 
I can't believe I am in the same place
But it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

III
I walk down the same stress.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It's my fault.
I get out immediately.

IV
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it. 

V
I walk down another street.

Think about the changes you are trying to make in your life. What chapter best describes where you are in the change process? What steps will you need to take to move to another stage? 

No comments:

Post a Comment